Taking on Trump: Where We Stand
The Trump Administration and lawmakers in Congress have proposed alarming policies – and nominated some troubling cabinet picks – that would roll back progress on consumer protection, civil rights, fighting climate change and access to the courts. Here’s how Public Justice is responding:
- We’re defending every American’s right to their day in court. While the GOP rushes to kill a common sense rule from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that ensures customers can join together and hold banks accountable in court, we’re letting the public know why this rule matters, and how millions of American could potentially benefit from it.
- We’re standing up for transgender students. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded guidance meant to protect transgender youth. We’re leading a coalition of 50 prominent civil rights and legal advocates in letting every school – in every state – know that their obligations under the law haven’t changed.
- We’re standing with America’s independent farmers and fighting for rural America. We’re demanding the Trump Administration clearly label meat so consumers know where it comes from, and multinational corporations don’t have an unfair advantage over independent ranchers.
- We’re telling the truth about the consequences of dangerous legislation in Congress. The House has narrowly passed – and the Senate could soon take up – a sweeping proposal to wipe away countless class action lawsuits, and close the courthouse doors to Americans who have been cheated, defrauded or harmed. We launched the largest grassroots effort in our history to ensure this dangerous proposal never becomes law.
- We’re weighing in with the courts about the Trump Administration’s Muslim Ban. The President’s immigration order is wrong, and it is illegal. We’re partnering with our friends at Lieff Cabraser and working to ensure that those who are targeted for discrimination as a group are allowed to fight the President’s order as a group, too.
- We opposed the nomination of Scott Pruitt to lead the Environmental Protection Agency. For the first time in our history, we asked Senators to vote ‘no’ on a cabinet-level nominee. Pruitt’s record, and his ties to the oil and gas industry, made him the wrong choice for EPA.
- We’re defending the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Since its inception, the CFPB has returned billions of dollars to consumers and worked to keep big bank – like WellsFargo – in check. Many Congressional Republicans, and Trump’s pick for OMB Chief, have called for slashing the bureau. We’ll fight any attempt to water down the agency or replace its director.
- We’re preserving the truth. When the Trump Administration erases crucial information about issues such as climate change, we are saving the facts and making them available to the public on our own website.
- We’re working to preserve Dodd-Frank. This important legislation – signed into law following the economic crisis of 2008 – includes important provisions to protect consumers and avoid another economic catastrophe. Big banks are lobbying for alarming changes that would drastically decrease the law’s effectiveness.
- We’re asking Congress to hold the Administration accountable. When the Trump Administration picks troublesome nominees, we work to ensure lawmakers ask the tough questions and get real answers from political appointees.
- And we’re telling Trump: Not even the President is above the law.
Our country faces critical challenges in the years ahead that will impact our laws, and our families, for decades to come. We know the courts will be a critical part of preserving our progress and advancing our values. When lawmakers work in the public interest, we’ll stand with them. But whenever they prioritize profit over people, corporations over communities or try to roll back our rights, we’ll fight back. Check back here for an updated, ongoing list of actions we’re taking to combat social and economic injustice, protect the Earth’s sustainability, and challenge predatory corporate conduct and government abuses.
Join Us. Help us fight back against attacks on the environment, civil liberties and workers’ and consumers’ rights. Make a special, tax-deductible gift in support of our work.